Quitting smoking successfully and making the switch to vaping isn’t easy for anyone, but it can be especially difficult if you’re a heavy smoker.
Out of the thousands of chemicals that you ingest every day as a smoker, nicotine is the only one that vaping replaces – and you take in substantially more of those chemicals than the average smoker.
An e-cigarette also doesn’t deliver quite as much nicotine per puff as a cigarette would, so switching to vaping is going to involve a pretty significant period of adjustment on your part. To get through that adjustment period successfully, you need a vaping device designed to deliver maximum satisfaction.
In this article, we’re going to describe the best vape for a heavy smoker and explain the pros and cons of the different types of devices that are likely to be good fits for you. Before we discuss the various devices at length, though, let’s learn a bit more about the qualities that a vaping device must have if you’re a heavy nicotine user.
How to Identify the Best Vape for a Heavy Smoker
If you’re a heavy smoker, there are three qualities that your first vape starter kit must have in order for you to have the best possible experience.
- The device should be designed for the mouth-to-lung inhaling style. A mouth-to-lung device is usually very small and pocketable, and its tip will usually be around the same size as the filter of a cigarette. You want a device optimised for the mouth-to-lung inhaling style as a new vaper because that’s the inhaling technique you use as a smoker. It’s also the inhaling style that gives you the strongest throat hit, which is particularly important for heavy nicotine users.
- The device should be refillable. Although we’ll discuss one exception to the refillable device rule in this article, you generally want to avoid any pre-filled vaping device as a heavy smoker because it’s much less expensive to buy bottled e-liquid than it is to use an e-cigarette with pre-filled pods or cartridges. That’s important because, as a heavy nicotine user, you’re likely to consume a lot of e-liquid. Using a refillable vaping device also allows you to enjoy the widest possible range of e-liquid flavours.
- You should buy e-liquid with the highest possible nicotine strength, which is legally regulated to a maximum of 20 mg/ml in the UK. We strongly recommend nicotine salt e-liquid for heavy smokers. If you’re a heavy nicotine user, you need your vaping device to get as close as possible to the nicotine delivery of a cigarette.
What Types of Vaping Devices Are Best for a Heavy Smoker?
Pod Vaping Systems
Pod vaping systems are the sleekest and most fashionable vaping devices on the market. They’re also designed specifically to deliver great performance with nicotine salt e-liquid, which is one of the reasons why they’re such perfect vaping devices for beginners.
The other reason why pod systems are so popular among beginning vapers is because they’re extremely simple and easy to use. With most pod systems, the pod is a disposable component that you’ll throw away when you’re no longer happy with the device’s flavour. Just charge the battery, fill the pod and vape – a pod system is a perfect introduction to vaping.
Benefits of Pod Vaping Systems:
- Small and highly portable
- Extremely easy to use
- Designed to deliver cigarette-like performance with high-nicotine e-liquids
Although a pod vaping system is usually the best choice for a new vaper, it’s also worthwhile to consider a vape pen if you’re a heavy smoker because vape pens often offer superior performance compared to pod systems. Pod vaping systems have become more and more capable over the years, and some of them have vapour production that’s very comparable to vape pens. For the most part, though, a vape pen will still give you bigger clouds than a pod system, and that’s important if you’re a heavy smoker because you need a vaping device that delivers nicotine very efficiently.
An additional benefit of vape pens is that, since they’re typically a bit larger than pod systems, they almost always offer better battery life. Since having a higher nicotine requirement means that you’ll be using your vaping device quite often, better battery life can be a major selling point.
The one drawback of vape pens is that they’re typically a bit more complex than pod systems because you’re not just using a pod until its flavour changes and then throwing it away. With a vape pen, you use a tank with a replaceable atomizer coil. When the tank’s flavour is no longer acceptable, you’ll open the tank and replace the coil. Although that requires a bit more effort than using a device with a disposable pod, you may find the effort worthwhile if you need the extra performance that a vape pen offers.
Benefits of Vape Pens:
- Better battery life
- Potentially better vapour production and flavour
Disposable e-cigarettes technically don’t satisfy one of the most important qualifications given at the beginning of this article; they aren’t refillable. A disposable e-cigarette has a non-rechargeable battery and comes pre-filled with a finite supply of e-liquid. If the battery dies – or the device runs out of e-liquid – it’s done. Most disposable e-cigarettes are calibrated to last 200 puffs, or about the same number of puffs as a pack of cigarettes. In other words, a typical smoker who switches to vaping with disposable e-cigarettes will probably use one e-cigarette per day. A heavy smoker may use more, which can easily mean that using disposable e-cigarettes will cost more than smoking. For that reason, it’s difficult to recommend that anyone use disposable e-cigarettes as a full-time vaping option.
Nevertheless, disposable e-cigarettes still bear mentioning on this list of the best vapes for heavy smokers because you might want to find out what vaping is like before investing in a full vape kit. Will you enjoy the flavour? What does the throat hit feel like? Can vaping really satisfy your nicotine cravings? If you want to know the answers to those questions before you buy your first vape kit, grab a disposable e-cigarette and find out for yourself.
Benefits of Disposable E-Cigarettes:
- Easy way to find out what vaping is like
- Device is ready to use out of the package; no battery to charge and no tank or pod to fill
Summing It Up: What’s the Best Vape for a Heavy Smoker?
In this article, we’ve discussed the three types of vaping devices that you’re most likely to buy if you’re a heavy smoker making the switch to vaping. In case you’re still unsure what the best vape for your needs is, we’ll finish with a summary before adding a brief footnote about how your preferences might change as you gain vaping experience.
So, what’s the best vape for a heavy smoker? Here’s what we suggest.
- You should buy a pod system if you want a device that’s stylish, easy to use and specifically optimised for high-nicotine e-liquids.
- You should buy a vape pen if you don’t mind owning a slightly larger device and want the best battery life and vapour production that a mouth-to-lung device can deliver.
- You should buy a disposable e-cigarette if you want to find out what vaping is like without the commitment and cost of buying a full vape kit and a bottle of e-liquid.
Planning for the Future: Your Vaping Preferences May Change
We’d like to leave you with a final thought about how your hardware preferences might change as you gain vaping experience. If you have friends who have vaped for a while, you’ve probably noticed that many – perhaps even most – of those people use larger vape mods. The fact that a vape mod can generate huge clouds means that using a mod can be a very satisfying experience for someone who used to be a heavy smoker. We don’t suggest vape mods for those who are new to vaping, though, for two reasons.
- A vape mod with a sub-ohm tank is designed for direct-to-lung inhaling, which will be unfamiliar and strange to you if you’ve never vaped before.
- A sub-ohm tank works best with low-nicotine e-liquid, which delivers very little throat hit.
The reason why you can have a satisfying experience with a full-sized vape mod and a sub-ohm tank is because the large vapour clouds make up for the fact that you’re using a lower-nicotine e-liquid. Because of the lack of throat hit and the unfamiliar direct-to-lung inhaling style, though, a full-sized vape mod usually isn’t the right choice for a new vaper. However, you should keep your mind open to the possibility that your preferences may change in the future. You may decide that you’d like to trade the stronger throat hit for an experience that provides bigger and bolder flavours, and that’s exactly what a vape mod does.
Need help with anything vape related or have a question about our products? Click the button in the bottom-right corner to chat with one of our UK-based vape experts and get real-time advice from our team.